Veterinary medicine has changed a great deal since the Animal Care Clinic first opened in 1981. Our ability as a profession to prevent and treat disease, as well as relieve suffering, has expanded greatly during the last 30 years! Arthroscopic surgery, MRIs, CAT scans, ultrasound studies (including echocardiography), laser surgery, kidney dialysis, organ transplantation, stem cell therapy, cold laser therapy, endoscopy, multi-modal pain management–these are just a few examples of services now available in veterinary medicine!
Most veterinary clinics are primary care facilities. The doctors at these practices see and treat a wide variety of common medical disorders of pets, perform a variety of surgical procedures, and form preventative care plans. General practitioners have the ability, equipment, and knowledge to adequately care for the majority of these cases; however we do see some cases that require advanced, very expensive technology that most primary care facilities can’t justify having on hand (ie, a CT scanner), or involve medical conditions that are unusual enough to require a Veterinary Specialist’s input to succesfully reach a diagnosis.
We believe the key to providing great medical care to pets in our current times, is for us to provide great primary care to the level of the highest national standards, but also recognize when it is in the pet’s and the owner’s best interests to send that patient to a referral hospital or veterinary specialist for further diagnostics and / or treatment. That approach represents the best of all worlds in my view, and is far more practical and affordable today than you might suspect.
The Animal Care Clinic of Branson offers a comprehensive spectrum of primary care services, including:
- Wellness Exams : We recommend semi-annual wellness exams for us to perform a thorough exam, discuss health management strategies, and identify new health issues before they get a chance to progress. This gives our clients a chance to ask questions about their pet care concerns, and gives us a chance to establish a great relationship with you and your pet(s).
- Preventive Care for Dogs & Cats: Let us work with you and your pet to develop a strategic preventative health care plan based on your pet’s needs, habits, and environment. These plans focus on vaccinations, screening bloodwork, regular physical exams, and parasite prevention to best ensure your pet lives a long and healthy life.
- Microchipping : Each year, thousands of pets go missing, and many don’t make it back home. Your pet needs a permanent form of identification that is reliable and can’t get lost, stolen, or damaged. A microchip is a safe, simple form of identification that can significantly increase the chance that your pet will return safely in the unfortunate event she gets lost.
- Urgent / Emergency Care : We always try our best to accommodate daytime emergencies. Please call us immediately if an urgent or emergent issue arises–we are here to help! We see after-hours emergencies on a limited basis.
- Dental Care & X-rays: Keeping your pet’s mouth clean and healthy are critical to living a long and pain-free life. We are here to help you formulate the best dental home care plan, and we can perform dental x-rays, prophylactic cleanings, and surgical extractions as needed.
- Digital Radiology (X-Rays) : X-rays are an important diagnostic tool for evaluating many diseases and injuries in our pets. Using our digital X-Ray processor, we are able to refer our radiographs to a radiologist for interpretation.
- Ultrasound: An ultrasound scan is a diagnostic tool that uses high-frequency sound waves to capture live images from the inside of your pet’s body. An ultrasound allows us to see problems with organs, vessels, and tissues without needing to make an incision. Our equipment allows us to send all of our images to a radiologist for interpretation.
- In-House Laboratory Testing: We are able to quickly perform many lab tests here in our own hospital to better evaluate and treat many pet disease processes. Our state of the art machinery and trained staff can perform in-house Complete Blood Counts, Diagnostic panels, thyroid tests, blood smears, blood clotting times, cytologies, urinalyses, fecal exams, and more.
- Allergy Testing & Treatment: We offer allergy testing and treatments for dogs and cats. We collect a blood sample and send it to our lab. When we receive the results we will go over treatment options with you and help get your pet’s allergy symptoms under control.
- Surgery: Our staff is trained to perform many other surgical procedures, such as mass removals, cystotomies, abdominal exploratories, and some fracture repairs. We use the most current monitoring equipment and anesthetic protocols to ensure your pet is at minimal risk during his procedure, and we make extensive use of pain management and a surgical CO2 laser to make recovery as easy and pain-free as possible.
- Nutrition and Weight Management Counseling: We are passionate about nutrition and maintaining a healthy weight! Did you know pets who maintain a healthy weight live nearly 2 years longer on average than their moderately overweight counterparts? Let us formulate specific nutritional plans for your pet to best manage his weight, food allergies, kidney/liver disease, and/or many other health conditions.
- Geriatric and Hospice Care: We understand through first-hand experience the close bond older pets have with their families, and we want to help you have all the tools available to continue focusing on keeping your pet happy and comfortable throughout her life. If and when the time comes, we will be here to help your family through the euthanasia process, and help your pet cross the bridge with dignity and grace.
- Surgical and Therapeutic Lasers: We use a CO2 laser to perform surgical incisions in order to provide hemostasis during surgery, reduce surgical trauma, and lead to a faster and easier recovery post-op. We also offer therapeutic, or cold, laser treatment to help quickly and safely reduce swelling and speed healing in a huge variety of conditions, from arthritis to ear infections.
- Spay & Neuter: Not only does spaying/neutering help reduce the overwhelming pet overpopulation problem in our area, it can help reduce the risk for many health and behavioral issues. Our staff focuses on patient safety, pain management, and employing the most current surgical practices in order to minimize any risks involved with these routine surgical procedures.
- Avian (Parrots) and Exotics: We love seeing birds and other exotic pets! Dr. Alison has additional training in birds through a 6 week externship at an avian-exclusive practice under Dr. Julie Burge, and she works closely with A Parrot’s Perch Rescue. During veterinary school, she was a member of the Zoo, Exotics, and Wildlife Club, and she has attended exotic animal medicine conventions for additional training.
- Basic Grooming : We offer basic grooming services such as nail trims, ear cleaning, and anal gland expressions. Let us help you keep your pet looking and feeling his best!
- House Calls : Dr. Alison is available on limited basis for house calls in the Branson/Tri-Lakes area. Please call for scheduling and pricing information.